5 Common Electrical Hazards Found at Home

kid is playing with electric extension cord and iron at home

Electrical energy is extremely useful, and practically every one of us makes use of it on a daily basis at home. As long as things are functioning properly, and components are safely installed, electricity is safe to use. Unfortunately, there are some instances where you may encounter an electrical hazard at home. To help you identify these hazards and take the appropriate precautions around them, we have put together a shortlist with helpful safety tips below. If you require assistance with any household electrical hazard you encounter, be sure to contact the friendly electricians at A-Max Electrical to solve the problem today!

5 Safety Tips To Help You Identify Hazards At Home

1. Incorrect Bulb Wattage

There’s a good reason why all light bulbs have their wattage clearly marked on their packaging and on the bulb itself. If you install a light bulb with incorrect wattage for the fixture, you are inadvertently creating an electrical hazard. It is important to always install a bulb with a wattage that is less than or equal to the maximum wattage of the lamp or fixture. This wattage will usually be indicated right on the fixture, so it should be easy to make the correct bulb selection. With improper wattage, you run the risk of blowing the bulb, which can create an electrical hazard, as well as an issue with broken glass.

 

2. Overloaded Outlets

Adding extra plugs to an outlet can seem really handy when you have a lot of items that need to be plugged into the same spot. The issue with this however is the fact that you run the risk of overloading the circuit, which can cause short circuits and in some cases fires. To avoid this, make sure you aren’t plugging too many items into one outlet using a splitter or power bar. You should never continue to plug items into an outlet if you have already experienced a short circuit. Try to limit yourself to one power bar per room to avoid issues with overloaded circuits.

 

3. Damaged Cords

Sometimes our old appliances can start to get their cords frayed or damaged. When this happens, you should try to find a replacement as soon as possible, as a damaged cord poses a serious electrical shock hazard. This can be especially dangerous if you are operating the damaged cord in a kitchen where water is likely to present. Water can easily conduct electricity from a frayed cord, leading to a serious risk of electrical shock. If you notice any damage on a cord, you should stop using it immediately, and get it repaired as soon as possible.

 

4. Unprotected Outlets

Small children are oblivious to the dangers of electricity, which is why they think nothing of tampering with an electrical outlet. Unfortunately, this tampering can lead to serious shocks and even death, which is why it is vital to keep all electrical outlets protected around children. These days standard electrical outlets are made with built-in tamper resistance. It is virtually impossible to put anything other than a power plug into one of these tamper-resistant outlets. If you aren’t in a position to make these major changes, you can still invest in plastic outlet coverings which will keep children safe from playing with a live outlet as well.

 

5. Extension Cords

We all get plenty of use from our extension cords, whether we’re working outside, or just running some extra power to a distant household component. Unfortunately, there are lots of examples of unsafe extension cord use. Doing things like running extension cords under rugs, using interior extension cords outside, and operating too many heavy-duty items on one cord are all examples of unsafe extension cord use. You should always be aware of the proper use of each type of extension cord.

If you want to learn more about electrical safety or unsure about dealing with a potential electrical safety hazard, feel free to call the residential electrical experts at A-Max Electrical for assistance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *